This happened this week. One small burst pipe. A hole no bigger than the end of your pinky finger. 12,000 gallons of water pouring into this home.
Don’t let this happen to you!
Here at Riddle Restoration, we want to give you some tips to help prevent having a major water disaster in your home this winter.
Prevention BEFORE they are frozen:
Use common sense and keep your pipes warm. Look around your home for areas where water supply lines are located. If any of these places are not heated, consider insulating those pipes. All major home improvement places have simple and cheap supplies for this, but even extra newspaper wrapped around the pipes will help. Areas you should consider are: basement and/or crawl space, attic areas, garage, kitchen and bathroom cabinets.
Other simple tips:
- Don’t set your thermostat below 55 degrees if you are leaving.
- Keep your garage door shut to keep cold air out.
- Open bathroom and kitchen cabinets below sinks to allow more heat in.
- Consider keeping your home at a consistent temperature day and night. The small cost in heating bills out-weighs the hassle of burst pipes.
- Be sure to drain swimming pools and sprinkler systems according to manufacturer’s directions.
What to do if the pipes are frozen and have not yet burst (no water or barely a trickle comes out when you turn a faucet on):
- Turn faucets on so that as water melts it has a place to go. Even if it’s a slow trickle, any water movement helps to keep the pipes from completely freezing.
- Use a heat source such as a hair dryer, a space heater or even a heating pad. Just be VERY careful with electric elements and keep them away from anything flammable.
- Run very hot water in your bathtub and put towels in the hot water. Ring out as much water as you can, and then wrap the hot towels around the pipes. Once they cool off, repeat the process.
- Consider turning off your water supply.
If your pipes burst:
Shut off the main water supply as quickly as possible and call a professional. A burst pipe (just one) can have 4-8 gallons of water a minute shooting into the house. This means that in a matter of minutes, there can be thousands of dollars of damage.
Call Riddle Restoration at 419-304-9343 and we will be there as quickly as we can. We have a team ready 24-hours a day to help you in these emergency situations. You want the best. Not only do you want the best, you want a company and a team that will immediately make you their priority in your time of need. Your lives turn upside down with busted pipes. Call a company that brings some “calm” to you and your home.